Saturday, February 25, 2012

Oracle data source connection problem using Report Manager

I have an issue when using Report Manager for viewing reports that use a certain Oracle data source. When viewing the reports in Report Designer the reports display without problems. But when trying to display the reports with Report Manager, after deploying the reports to the Report Server, I now get the following error message:

blablabla....ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified

For testing purposes I am running Report Designer, Report Server and Report Manager locally on a PC with Windows XP. I am using Reporting Services 2005, IIS 6, Visual Studio 2005, an Oracle 9.x client and an Oracle 9.x (not 100% sure) database that is hosted on a remote server.

Earlier I got an error message that stated "ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve the connect identifier specified". Access rights to some Oracle folders for the Network service account did the trick here but then I got the "NLS parameter" error message. What I have tried to do is removing the NLS_LANG register variable and also modified the value of the variable so that it matches the value of the NLS_LANG variable on the server that hosts the Oracle database, but none of them have worked. Any ideas?

Maybe this is an issue that is more appropriate in an Oracle forum but what the heck..the problem could reside in Reporting Services..

Thanks, Stefan

I found the solution to the problem. I was jerking around with the wrong NLS_LANG registry variable. Everywhere I have looked it says that the NLS_LANG variable is found in the Home0 directory in the Windows registry, so naturally I have tested settings with that NLS_LANG variable. Also, the first thing I did was to search the registry for the NLS_LANG variable and the only search result was the one found under the Home0 directory. Out of coincidence, I found another NLS_LANG variable located directly under the Oracle directory in the registry. This variable was set to "NA". I changed it to AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P15, and boom shakalak!

/Stefan

No comments:

Post a Comment