Friday, March 30, 2012

Order Group in specified order

Hi all,
We have recently migrated from Crystal Reports to SSRS. We are converting
all our company reports from one format to another. Some of our reports have
groupings in a specified order. When you sort order in Crystal you can select
"Specified Order" and then pick the names of the groups and place them in a
specified order to appear on the report, as opposed to ascending alphabetical
order for example.
How can I specify "Specified Order" when creating a Reporting Services report?
Thanks
JHI have never used Crystal Reports. But I think I understand what you
are asking. I had a similar issue where I had to explicity specify the
order of matrix columns. Neither RS nor my SQL SELECT ORDER BY did the
trick because I could do only Ascending/Descending or ASC/DESC
respectively. I would like to believe RS has some way to control
explicit order, but I sure cannot find it.
I solved my problem by doing the following
1) returned a dummy INT column from my SELECT statement. Made sure rows
in the dataset returned appropriate value for this column based on the
column data.
2) Changed the Column group in my matrix to Sort Ascending on THIS INT
column instead of using a data field.
Kludgy perhaps, but at the moment I could care less.
HTH.
Best.
JH wrote:
> Hi all,
> We have recently migrated from Crystal Reports to SSRS. We are converting
> all our company reports from one format to another. Some of our reports have
> groupings in a specified order. When you sort order in Crystal you can select
> "Specified Order" and then pick the names of the groups and place them in a
> specified order to appear on the report, as opposed to ascending alphabetical
> order for example.
> How can I specify "Specified Order" when creating a Reporting Services report?
> Thanks
> JH

No comments:

Post a Comment